The Boy’s Golf Season Tees Off

After a long wait, the High School golf season is finally here. The Red Bud High School Boys Golf Team was excited and eager to hit the course.  Their first match against Sparta was on Monday, August 15th at the Sparta Country Club. After 9 holes of play, Ryker Papenberg was the Musketeer’s top scorer shooting a 43. Sophomores Jaden Kadlec and Gentry Donjon came off firing with two 46s in the first varsity matches of their career. Captain and Senior Owen Stallings came in fourth for the team as he shot a 47 after a tough Junior season that was filled with injuries. In their first match, the Musketeers lost to the Bulldogs by a score of 182-170. 

On Wednesday, August 17th, the boys had their first home match of the season against Chester at the North County Country Club. Ryker Papenberg was the top scorer for the team.  He shot his career low of 40 with a birdie on the par four hole two and a chip-in on the par three hole six to save par. Owen Stallings shot a 43 with a chip-in on the par three hole eight to make a birdie. Following Stallings, Senior Will Simpson shot a 44. Stepping into the fourth spot, Gentry Donjon had another top varsity score of 48. Top JV scorer, Tyler Keeven, holed out from 30 yards for another amazing shot from the Musketeers. The results of the match were very close with the Musketeers losing to the Yellow Jackets by a score of 175-170. 

To end the week, Red Bud faced the tough Steelville Warriors at North Country Club on Friday, August 19th. Ryker Papenberg was the top varsity scorer shooting a 43. Owen Stallings filled the second spot again shooting a 46. With another solid performance, Gentry Donjon took the third spot shooting a 47. Jaden Kadlec shot  51 for the fourth score. The Musketeers lost to the Warriors by a score of 187-159.

After the results of the matches for the week, Captain Owen Stallings stated, “Despite the losses this week, a score of 175 is the lowest team score I’ve seen since my Freshman year and I’m excited for the remainder of the season.” 

This week the schedule includes home matches against Valmeyer on Monday, Sparta on Wednesday, and Trico on Thursday.  On Friday, the boy’s team travels to Okawville for the Okawville Invitational Tournament.