Freshmen Shine in JV Contest

Prior to the varsity matchup, the Red Bud JV Women squared off against the Waterloo JV Bulldogs. Aside from a layup by freshman guard Lyla Hess, and a quick steal and score by Junior Sam Kolweier, both sides struggled offensively in the first quarter. With the Musketeers attempting to cling onto a 4-2 lead heading into the second, Waterloo would quickly score four unanswered to take a slim lead. The Lady Bulldogs dominated the offensive boards in the first half but had a hard time capitalizing on their opportunities. Red Bud stretched their lead to 16-11 with another layup from Hess (assisted by Freshman Alexis Koester) to end the half. Waterloo’s struggles continued in the third, as the Musketeers came out ready to pick up where they left off. A combination of Waterloo turnovers and Red Bud’s excellent third quarter ball movement proved to be too much for the Bulldogs to handle. Red Bud stretched their lead to 26-13 at the end of quarter three. Back to back defensive takeaways by Josie Meyer and Madison Falkenhein in the fourth, along with 2 point field goals on back to back possessions by 5’2” freshman Addi Dilley allowed Red Bud to pull ahead by 15. After an offensive rebound and assist to Dilley in the final two minutes, the game was far gone for the Bulldogs to have any chance at a comeback. Faulkenhein put the game on ice by converting on both free throws of a one-and-one in the final minute of the fourth.  Freshmen Hess and Dilley led the way in the points category with 15 and 12 respectively. Combined with an amazing team defensive effort, the JV Lady Musketeers grabbed their first win of the season, defeating Waterloo by a final score of 41-15.